Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The tides are turning...

Ok, guess what. BIG news. I'm not going into the Air Force... I've decided to go into the Marines! Yep, after much research and consideration, I've... wait a sec, now why would I do that?

In reality, I have decided to not join the military. It was a hard decision, just ask my girlfriend Kristal. You know how you have plans and then something comes up and you're faced with 2 good choices? Yep, that's what happened.

The last real talk I had with my recruiter was in October 2008. About 3 months went by with no correspondence because he left and his replacement was on vacation for a while. During that time, I met my girlfriend (well, we met like a year ago, but started dating about 3 months ago) and Kimball and Lora asked me to work for them.

Kristal is awesome! She's fun, smart, hot ;) and patient. And, she likes me for me. Well, maybe for my massive muscles, too, what can I say!! j/k Did I take "us" into consideration with this decision? She told me not too. Maybe I did a little, but that's not the big factor.

The big factors were these: family, work, enjoying Spring, Summer and Fall (you all know how I seriously HATE winter), staying in Utah, etc.

GOING INTO DETAIL...

Family: I love my family. I want to be around them. I want to experience being an uncle and seeing people grow. And family outings every year? Why the heck would I miss those?? Gees. On a more serious note, I want my future kids to grow up in places that their parents feel would be best, not the military.

Work: I had a little meeting with Kimball and Lora a few weeks ago. They wanted me to come to work for them. Their businesses are expanding and they just need more manpower - I think you can call it that. As they create new businesses, they just need extra help. Their santa letter biz is gonna rock this year because of how "branded" it will be and all the extra accessories ppl can buy, and I'm proud to help them make it so. I'm helping to build their new 3 Day Potty Training website and working with Kimball's "mushoo" program. So far so good, and I love working with them!

How often do you get the chance to work one-on-one with not only the owners, but the brains behind the biz? The skills I'm learning from them are worth $1,000's! And guess what... they're starting a biz that does just that - teaching others step-by-step how to do exactly what they do to bring home the big bucks.

I hope as I work with them, they'll be patient with me as I learn. I've never taken programming classes! I took one graphic design class, but I didn't learn anything from it because I knew it already. Needless to say, I passed that class with a 100%.

Working from home... that sounds daunting, doesn't it? When Kimball/Lora started, it was scary. But their track record and current life-style proves stability and capability. It can be done!

Enjoying Spring, Summer & Fall: I hate the winter. It is something I'd wish on my worst enemy!! Get my drift? I need the sunlight and natural warmth. I need memories to keep me going through the dead of winter, and I need the anticipation of those experiences to keep me going. Being in the military, I wont have control of what I do in those seasons.

Listen closely: During my time praying/fasting/considering everything about the military, I initially felt to wait to make a sure descision, but keep going in that direction. I didn't feel that God was telling me to join it or not... in fact, I felt nothing, not even "darkness". What the heck do you do in those situations??????? I remember learning that when that occurs, it's your descision and no one else's, and God will bless you in what you decide.

So I had 2 choices. They were mine alone. It's as though God was saying, "Decide, Jorgen. It's up to you. I'll use you in whatever you choose." So I did my homework, and put in the effort in making an educated choice.

Let me tell you another experience: One night, I was at my thinking place - for those of you who know me well enough, you'll know its the Timpanogos Temple - considering the direction of my life. I was frustrated because I wasn't receiving "instruction" on what to do. As I cleared my mind, I recognized the profound silence that comes before revelation. I then felt the Spirit quietly speak to me.

Right now is a preparatory time for me to grow in knowledge and wisdom for future events. My mission (one of many) is to be a blessing to people's lives. I'm supposed to help people keep the commandments and to exercise faith. No matter where I go, what I do for a career and whatnot, I'm supposed to be a blessing to people's lives.

Heavenly Father wants us to make choices on our own, and is happy when me make good ones. If He wants us to do something specific, He'll tell us. But for the most part, we learn and grow as we make our own choices.

Be engaged in a good cause out of your own free will. Bring about good things. I was faced with 2 good choices and it totally stressed me out choosing just one. But I made a choice and feel fine. Sure there is the fear of the unknown - like will everything work out with working for Kimball and Lora? - but I'm confident that I'll be an asset to them. If ya do whats right, things will work out for the best!

Well, there you have it - the long awaited blog! Laters.

6 comments:

  1. A few clicks on a few links...and here I am. I have been wondering how you have been and now I have a little more of an idea. :)
    Hope life continues to treat you well...

    Love and Luck,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jorgen - We are happy to have you working with us, not just for us but with us. We are very happy with your work so far. You are much like Kimball in that you have a natural ability to program, without classes, it's just a natural talent and it's amazing.

    As you know, we have needed someone for awhile now and we just never felt comfortable with anyone else, you have always been the only one we could see working with us in this position.

    We would have supported you if you decided to leave but we are sooooo happy that you aren't. :-) Here's to the future!!!! Love you Jorg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jorgen, you are the man. I'm happy to see that you are being true to yourself and to Heavenly Father! What else can I say? I'm selfish... I'm glad you're staying. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! You have a blog! You need to check ours out! http://www.chadandtinadreaming.blogspot.com/

    -Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jorgen, I don't know if you'll ever see this comment, but I wanted to share a few thoughts. I just re-read this blog entry after a year and a half. So much has happened since your wrote this, most significantly your marriage to Josie. You mentioned something in your blog entry that struck me just now as I re-read it.

    "Heavenly Father wants us to make choices on our own, and is happy when me make good ones. If He wants us to do something specific, He'll tell us. But for the most part, we learn and grow as we make our own choices."

    I think that's really quite profound. This life is all about choices, and most of the time we are left to choose for ourselves. So many times when faced with important choices, I wish Heavenly Father would just tell me what to do. But that's not the pattern. The pattern is to study it out and prayerfully make our own choice. Then He will consecrate our efforts.

    I wish we lived near you Jorgen. I miss you. It's father's day today. I hope that one day you'll be blessed with children of your own. The world is in such dire need of willing and righteous fathers. Take care, my brother.

    Love,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete